Thursday, June 28, 2007

Praying Saint Patrick's Breastplate with Anglican Prayer Beads


The Cross:
I bind unto myself today the strong Name of the Trinity, by invocation of the same, the Three in One, and One in Three. Of whom all nature hath creation, eternal Father, Spirit, Word: praise to the Lord of my salvation, salvation is of Christ the Lord.

The Invitatory:
Christ be with me, Christ within me, Christ behind me, Christ before me, Christ beside me, Christ to win me, Christ to comfort and restore me. Christ beneath me, Christ above me, Christ in quiet, Christ in danger, Christ in hearts of all that love me, Christ in mouth of friend and stranger.

The Cruciforms:
I bind unto myself today
the strong Name of the Trinity,
by invocation of the same,
the Three in One, and One in Three.

The Weeks:
1. I bind this day to me for ever, by power of faith, Christ’s Incarnation;
2. his baptism in Jordan river;
3. his death on cross for my salvation;
4. his bursting from the spicèd tomb;
5. his riding up the heavenly way;
6. his coming at the day of doom:
7. I bind unto myself today.

1. I bind unto myself the power of the great love of cherubim;
2. the sweet "Well done" in judgment hour;
3. the service of the seraphim;
4. confessors’ faith, apostles’ word,
5. the patriarchs’ prayers, the prophets’ scrolls;
6. all good deeds done unto the Lord,
7. and purity of virgin souls.

1. I bind unto myself today the virtues of the starlit heaven,
2. the glorious sun’s life-giving ray,
3. the whiteness of the moon at even,
4. the flashing of the lightning free,
5. the whirling of the wind’s tempestuous shocks,
6. the stable earth, the deep salt sea,
7. around the old eternal rocks.

1. I bind unto myself today the power of God to hold and lead,
2. his eye to watch, his might to stay,
3. his ear to hearken, to my need;
4. the wisdom of my God to teach,
5. his hand to guide, his shield to ward;
6. the word of God to give me speech,
7. his heavenly host to be my guard.

The Closing Prayers:

Invitatory Bead:
The Lord’s Prayer

The Cross:
I bless the Lord.

Or, in a group setting:
Let us bless the Lord
Thanks be to God.

2 comments:

Cynthia R. Nielsen said...

Dear Daniel,

Thank you so much for the posts on praying with Anglican prayer beads--they were extremely helpful and encouraging.

Best wishes,
Cynthia

Anonymous said...

Here is an Anglican Rosary to prepare for the Holy Eucharist. Perhaps you'll find merit in it.

Anglican Rosary - Preparation for Holy Communion

On the Cross:
In the Name of God: Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. Amen.

On the Invitatory Bead:
Christ our Passover is sacrificed for us;
Therefore let us keep the feast. (1 Cor. 5:7-8)

On the Cruciform Beads:
I will receive the cup of salvation and call on the Name of the Lord. (Ps. 116:13)

On the Week Beads:
Lord Jesus, your flesh and blood are life, abide in me. (Jn. 6:54,56)

After 3x Around

Invitatory Bead:
Our Father…

On the Cross:
May the Lord direct my heart to the love of God and to the steadfastness of Christ. Amen. (2 Thess. 3:5)